Vertebral Compression Fracture
A vertebral compression fracture is a type of bone breakage caused by a kind of weakening or crushing of a bone. In the spine, this often occurs as the vertebrae become brittle with age and begin to form cracks. A vertebral compression fracture produces pain that increases as your bone deteriorates.
At Hudson Valley Spine and Pain (HVPS), we understand the piercing symptoms associated with this painful condition. Fortunately, we offer a range of medical treatments designed to restore your mobility, reverse the condition, reduce your discomfort, and improve your quality of life. Continue reading to learn more about vertical compression fractures.
What Are the Symptoms of a Vertebral Compression Fracture?
The “thinning” of the vertebrae produced by spinal vertical compression fractures actually lowers the height of the bones. Over time this can result in height loss if allowed to progress unchecked. Other common symptoms include:
- Kyphosis or back curvature that occurs because the vertebrae can crack unevenly, causing a wedge to form in the bone which distorts proper spine shape.
- Pain with standing or movement that decreases upon lying down.
- Stomach problems that occur due to the compression of the entire abdominal area as back collapses downward.
- Hip pain caused from the ribs dropping down low enough to rub against the hip bones.
Causes of the Vertebral Compression Fractures
There are numerous potential causes of vertebral compression fractures, but osteoporosis tends to be the most significant factor. The slow loss of bone density causes the vertebrae to become fragile and highly susceptible to these kinds of fractures. Other causes include:
- Trauma that produces a downward pounding on the back, such as from landing hard from a parachute jump.
- Tumors or other growths on or near the spine.
- Certain bone diseases or infections.
Regardless of the specific cause, suffering one of these fractures results in a five times greater likelihood of developing another.
Contact HVPS for Vertebral Compression Fracture Relief
If you suffer from a vertebral compression fracture or are experiencing symptoms of this condition, the experts at HVPS can help. We offer a range of cutting-edge treatment solutions designed to treat any underlying causes.
In addition to treating the vertebral compression fracture, we offer solutions to relieve the current suffering you may be experiencing as well as help prevent future back deterioration. By taking a holistic approach to your health care, we’ll work to improve your quality of life and improve you long-term health outlook.